- “NREL is a driver of cutting-edge research and industry” • Thanks in part to a federally funded lab that does cutting-edge energy research, America is closer to energy independence than we’ve ever been in modern times. So it’s a shock that in the president’s proposed budget, that lab is on the chopping block. [The Denver Post]
- The Tesla Gigafactory produces lithium-ion batteries for Tesla vehicles and alternative energy sources. And, in a recent video, CEO and founder Elon Musk was actually quoted as saying: “We actually did the calculations to figure out what it would take to transition the whole world to sustainable energy. You’d need 100 Gigafactories.” [Futurism]
- Vermont is famous for its natural and mesmerizing landscape that includes a big forest. Unfortunately, a recent report has revealed a decrease in the bird population there. ABC News reported a sharp decline of 14.2% in the bird population over the last 25 years. Climate change, invasive species, and acid rain are among the causes. [Science Times]
- Indian mobile infrastructure and telecom tower companies are aiming to further cut their carbon footprint by reducing dependency on fossil fuel as a part of a ‘Go Green’ initiative. The sector has already deployed 90,000 diesel-free mobile sites, according to a lobby group Towers and Infrastructure Providers Association. [ETTelecom.com]
- Cities across the US are working to limit their emissions of climate-change gases, turning to solar power, and using other tactics. A report, Shining Cities 2017, rates cities for solar power. It says that solar-energy policies are more critical to successful solar adoption than any other factor, even including the number of days of sunshine. [Green Car Reports]
For more news, please visit geoharvey – Daily News about Energy and Climate Change.