- Opinion: “How we can turn railroads into a climate solution” • Railroads could drive the growth of clean energy. That is the aim of a new proposal to electrify railroads, run them on renewable energy, and use rail corridors as electricity superhighways to carry power from remote solar and wind installations to population centers.[Grist]
- The South Australian Premier Jay Weatherill will reveal a New energy policy tomorrow at 11 am. The announcement comes on the back of conversations with Tesla Founder Elon Musk about how the company could assist the state (and the country) in storing energy made from their high volume of renewable energy generation. [techAU]
- On Sunday afternoon, a private conversation between Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull and Tesla boss Elon Musk caught Australia’s attention. The two spoke on the phone for almost an hour about energy from renewable resources and battery storage. Musk had offered to stop South Australia’s electricity outages. [BBC News]
- Electrical power used by SamTrans and Caltrain in San Mateo County, California, will soon come from 100% renewable sources. The boards of directors for the transportation agencies voted recently to switch from PG&E power to 100% renewable electrical energy through a joint powers authority, Peninsula Clean Energy. [The Almanac Online]
- Egged on by the auto industry, President Trump is expected to start unraveling strong mileage and emissions rules that protect US energy security, consumers, the environment and even automakers’ healthy profits. Current standards would phase in a new fleet of vehicles that would average more than 50 mpg in 2025. [CNN]
For more news, please visit geoharvey – Daily News about Energy and Climate Change.