- “Obama warns Trump against quitting Paris climate deal” • An article by President Barack Obama appeared in the journal Science. In it, he tells his successor that scrapping the UN’s 2015 climate pact would lead to economic and diplomatic harm, just as carbon emissions lead to environmental damage. Its text appears here. [Climate Home]
- After eight years with Barack Obama in the White House, over a million US rooftops have solar panels installed. Utility scale solar powers more than 2 million homes. Generating low-carbon electricity employs 600,000 people in the United States, and 1.9 million Americans are employed in energy efficiency. [Energy Matters]
- Governor Andrew Cuomo made it official, saying that the 2,000-MW Indian Point nuclear power plant will close by April 2021. His office said the closure will have “little to no effect on New Yorkers’ electricity bills.” It indicated the plant can be replaced by 1,000 MW of hydropower because demand has declined. [Times Herald-Record]
- Vermont’s new Republican governor said Monday he would stick with his Democratic predecessor’s long-term goal of getting 90% of the energy needed in the state from renewable sources by 2050. For several years, Vermont has been working toward some of the most aggressive renewable energy goals in the country. [BurlingtonFreePress.com]
- Exxon Mobil Corp promised nine years ago to stop donating to groups that spread misinformation about climate change. Yet between 2008 and 2015, the oil giant’s charitable arm gave over $6.5 million to groups that deny that burning fossil fuels is causing global warming, a new analysis by NextGen Climate shows. [Huffington Post]
For more news, please visit geoharvey – Daily News about Energy and Climate Change.